Table of Contents

Title Page
Peter Lamare, Jr.
Peter Lamare, Sr.
Captain Joseph Lampoh
Captain Stephen Lampoh
Frank D. Lang
Stephen F. Langell
Captain Frank F. Langley
Captain Horace K. Langley
Captain John Horace Langley
Captain Samuel Gillman Langley
Alf H. Lanthier
Captain Crawford Large
Captain W. H. Larrabee Wood, Emma C. (Wife Of Captain W.H. Larrabee)
Mandius Larsen
Nicholas Larson
M. S. Laucks
John Laudvick
Edwin J. Law
James Law
Captain Samuel Law
George C. Lawrence, Jr.
Joseph Lawson
Captain James Lawless
Robert Learmonth
John James Leavy
Sidney Le Beau
Captain Seth Lee
William P. Lee
Robert Leitch
Thomas Leitch
Captain T. Lemey
William S. Lennox
Captain Samuel E. Leonard
Edgar C. Lewin
Captain Charles H. Lewis
J. E. Lewis
H. D. Lighthall
Joseph Limberger
Captain Patrick Linn
Michael Livingston
Samuel A. Lloyd
William A. Lloyd
Captain C. W. Lockwood
Charles Lorimer
Anson Loveless
Captain John Lowe
John W. Lowe
Captain Joseph Lowes
Jonathan Lowry
Jasper D. Luehrs
Theodore Lustig
Captain Charles A. Lyman
Captain E. J. Lynn
George F. Lynn
Captain W. J. Lynn
Captain R. J. Lyons
Captain S. A. Lyons
Captain John Lysaght
Table of Illustrations

Captain E. J. Lynn

Captain E.J. Lynn was born in Port Huron, Mich., July 13, 1857, a son of Capt. Dennis and Ellen Lynn. After graduating from the public schools of his native city he went to Detroit and became a student in Bryant & Stratton's College, taking a two years' course, and on his return to Port Huron he entered the office of the Italian Marble Company, which had its headquarters in Boston. In the spring of 1871 he shipped on the tug J. H. Martin, owned by Captain Spaulding, for three months, finishing that season on the tug L. L. Lyon. In 1872 he shipped with Capt. Cy Sinclair, on the tug John Prindiville, at Port Huron. The following season he went as wheelsman on the tug Gladiator; in 1874 as mate on the tug Kate Williams; in 1875 he fitted out the tug Crusader, and passed the season on her as wheelsman. In 1876 he went with Capt. Robert Ballentine in the tug Gladiator, remaining until July, when he left his boat for the purpose of going to California. Arriving in San Francisco he shipped with Capt. J. H. Monte on the tug Walter Witch, operating out of that port, and later transferred to the steamer Constantina, belonging to the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, as donkey-man. In 1877 he shipped as quartermaster on the steamer Empire, plying between San Francisco and San Diego, closing the year on the steamer Salinas, which plied between Monterey and Moss Landing.

In 1878 Captain Lynn purchased a farm of 250 acres near Salinas City, and stocked it with sheep and cattle; but having inherited a desire for life on the water, he sold the property after two years and returned to San Francisco, again entering the employ of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, under the management of Messrs. Goodale & Parsons. Mr. Parsons was elected governor of California some years later. In 1881 our subject met Captain Moon, who induced him to go to Seattle, Wash., for the purpose of engaging in the tug business; but not being well impressed with the opportunities offered, Capt. Lynn returned to San Francisco. In the spring of 1882 he removed to Chicago, where he accepted the position of night superintendent with the Vessel Owners Towing Company, holding same two years. In 1883 he sailed the tug Meteor, for Fitzsimons & Connolly, a dredging firm doing contract work in Chicago harbor, and following this spent a season on the tug Redmond Prindiville, with Capt. Joe Everett. In the spring of 1885 Captain Lynn went to Port Huron and shipped with Capt. Cy Sinclair on the tug H. N. Martin, which they took to Chicago and put into the towing business. In 1886 he shipped as lineman and mate on the tug Tom Brown, finishing the season on the tug Commodore. In the spring of 1887 he entered the employ of the Chicago Vessel Owners Towing Company, as master of the tug Thomas Hood, transferring to the tug Union the following season. In 1889 he was appointed superintendent of the company, and in 1892 was transferred by the firm to South Chicago to superintend operations at that point, where he remained another year. In 1894 he was appointed bridge dispatcher under Capt. Redmond Prindiville, but at the change of the city administration, some months later, he went to Duluth to take the position of assistant manager for the W. W. Singer Tug line, which he retained with satisfaction to all concerned until the close of the season. In 1895 Captain Lynn went to Toledo, Ohio, to look after the interests of the Fistler, Faythorne & Ames Carferry line, plying between Peshtigo and South Chicago. In the spring of 1896 he went to Cleveland and entered the employ of the Cleveland Towing Company, as master of the tug S. S. Stone, transferring from her to the Marguerite, which he commanded for the remainder of that season, being retained for the same berth in 1897. Captain Lynn is known as one of the strongest swimmers on the lakes, and has been instrumental in saving the lives of three women and ten men.

In 1894, the Captain wedded Mrs. Mary Collins, daughter of Mrs. Bridget Collins, who lives at No. 139 Indiana street, Chicago. Their children, Georgie and James, both died young. The family residence is at No. 96 Bond street, Cleveland, Ohio.


Previous    Next

Return to Home Port

Volume I

This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.

Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.