Corey H. Buzzard
Corey H. Buzzard, a marine engineer well acquainted with the lakes and all work pertaining thereto, is the son of Capt. John and Electa P. (Arnold) Buzzard, the former of whom is still living at Port Huron, a well-known vesselmaster of the earlier days. Mrs. Buzzard was a daughter of Capt. Joseph Arnold, who was a prominent shipbuilder some years ago, and at one time owned all the land which is now included in the town of Marysville. She died January 10, 1896 at the age of sixty years. Capt. Edward J. and Walter H. Buzzard, sons of Capt. John Buzzard, who now reside in Port Huron, have both spent several years of their lives on the lakes.
Corey H. Buzzard was born August 20, 1864 at Port Huron, Mich., and received his education in the public schools of that place, later entering the Phoenix Iron Works, where he spent four years. He was subsequently employed for three years in the Port Huron & Northwestern railroad shops. At the end of this time he was given the position of gang boss in the Industrial works at Bay City, engaged in constructing wrecking implements for railroads, and upon leaving this employ he came to Detroit, where he now has his home. Some time previous, on June 25, 1886, he had received a license for engineering at Port Huron, this being the first license issued under the new law and the last one issued by Asa Cole, who was for many years well-known at Port Huron, especially in marine circles. Mr. Buzzard carries a first-class license, his last one time unlimited, having passed examination in 1892, under inspector Daily, of Detroit. His first employment in the city was in the Detroit & Milwaukee car shops, after which he came to the Dry Dock Engine Works, where he was engaged during the winter season for about five years.
Mr. Buzzard's life on the water really began when he was fourteen years of age and he sailed with his father during the summer season. He shipped first on the Alice B. Norris as boy and for six years following this was on different schooners much of the time. For a short time he served upon the J. Ruby, running out of Mt. Clemens, as second engineer, and then went on the R.C. Briton for the remainder of the season, from this boat transferring to the steamyacht Louisa, as chief engineer. He next spent part of a season on the Fred McBrier and Westford as second and chief engineer, respectively, and he was also on the Thomas W. Palmer for a short time as second engineer. The following spring he brought out the George N. Brady as chief engineer and acted as such for the Howard Tug line, afterward bringing out the yacht Lily owned by A. E. Brush. For a time after leaving this boat he served on the police force, but he soon returned to the water and spent part of a season on the Belle Cross. The next season he was on the George W. Johnson, and in 1895 he acted as foreman for the Citizens Street Railroad Company during the erection of their new electric power house. His next berth was on the tug Arthur Jones, being employed by the Riverside Iron Works to fit her out, and in the early part of 1896, after fitting out the tug Maxwell A., of Alpena, he entered the employ of the Detroit Boat & Yacht Works, where he spent the season.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.