M. E. Brady
M.E. Brady was born at Sanduskuy[sic], Ohio, in 1852. At an early age he removed to Cleveland, where he learned the machinist's trade in the Lake Shore shops, later entering the Cuyahoga Works, on Detroit street, and there remaining two years as finishing machinist. He then went to work as oiler on the Anchor line of steamers, serving five months in that capacity and finishing the season as second engineer. The following season he shipped as chief engineer on the steamer Gordon Campbell, after which he returned to Cleveland and for one year was engaged in the Globe Iron Works. He then accepted an appointment from Capt. C.E. Benham to run the tug Samson for one year, following this service by a year on the steamer Wokoken. Mr. Brady then brought out new the steamer John Harper, of Fairport, which he engineered one season, and the following year he was placed in charge of the machinery of the new Gilchrist. After remaining on her three months he came ashore and for some time was employed in the Brush Electric Light Works and the Cleveland Machine Screw Works. In 1895 he was appointed to the charge of the machinery in the convent at the corner of Wilson and Scovill avenues, this building and machinery being perhaps among the finest in the City of Cleveland, Ohio. He is now assistant engineer in the large new building owned by M.A. Bradley, the Vulcan, on St. Clair street.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.