At Gananoque, during the year 1831, construction was started on a new steamboat for the Lake trade. This vessel had a length of 135 ft. and beam of 25 ft. and was powered by a beam engine having a bore of 55 inches and stroke of 96 inches. It was built by Bennet & Henderson, Engineers and Millwrights, of Montreal, who, on 11 September 1826, advertised that they
"had commenced business in that large house in Wellington Street, St. Ann Suburb, lately occupied as a nail factory".Christened WILLIAM IV, she was truly an outstanding example of naval architecture, endowed with no less than four tall funnels, placed well forward. She had one rather tall mast ahead of the funnels, a clipper bow and a short bowsprit. For steamboats of her time, she had a fairly long and useful life and for some years, served as a river tug in the fleet of the Calvins of Garden Island.
Return to Home Port
This volume is copyright The Estate of Ivan S. Brookes and is published with permission of the Estate. The originals are deposited in the Special Collections of the Hamilton Public Library.