The Canadian laker, ENGLISH RIVER, passed through the locks at Massena, N. Y., -- the last on the St. Lawrence Seaway during the weekend to signal the end of one of the most successful seasons of the Seaway's 10-year history.
BEN E. TATE - Recently sold for scrapping by Columbia Transportation Division to Marine Salvage Ltd., was towed from Cleveland to Ramey's Bend in the Welland Canal on December 2nd by the "G" tug, LAURENCE C.TURNER.
SCOTIA II - Train ferry passed upbound through the Welland Canal on Sunday, December 8th under her own power. She is slated to replace the C.N.R.'s HURON and LANSDOWNE on the Windsor-Detroit ferry run. Built in 1916 by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. Ltd., Newcastle; 268.8 x 48.2 x 18.2; G.T. 1854.
GRENVILLE - Veteran Canadian Coast Guard Buoy Tender was driven by ice into a bridge abutment near Beauharnois on December 18th. Resulting damage caused her to settle to the bottom some seven hours later without loss of life.
CN ADDS FERRY TO DETROIT-WINDSOR SERVICE - The 306-foot Department of Transport car ferry SCOTIA II has been purchased by Canadian National for the Detroit-Windsor connection, more than doubling the service's capacity. The SCOTIA II is to be delivered in Windsor before the St. Lawrence Seaway closes for the winter; she is now in drydock for hull inspection.
Built in 1916 in England, the SCOTIA II crossed the Atlantic Ocean under her own power and went into service between Mulgrave and Port Hawkesbury, N. S. In 1955, she moved to the Cape Tormentine, N.B.-Borden, P.E.I. run.
Schedule plans for SCOTIA II are not complete. The Windsor-Detroit ferry service now has two craft -- the LANSDOWNE, used in winter and the HURON, normally operated in the summer only. The fate of the HURON -- whose engines will be one hundred years old in 1972 -- may be in jeopardy as a result of the arrival of SCOTIA II.
Reproduced for the Web with the permission of the Toronto Marine Historical Society.