Table of Contents

Title Page
Lewis B. Adams
Charles W. Adler
Charles E. Ager
John Alexander
Captain Christopher C. Allen
G. L. Allen
George L. Allen
Nathan Elmer Allen
Captain S. C. Allen
Lewis Allison
James N. Ames
Niel Andersen
Captain Alexander Anderson
Alexander Anderson
August E. Anderson
George H. Anderson
James Anderson
Captain John Anderson
Captain John G. Anderson
Captain Joseph Anderson
M. M. Anderson
Captain Mathew Anderson
Captain George Angell
William G. Angell
Captain Charles H. Anthony
The Anthracite Coal Association
Arthur Armson
Captain William Armstrong
Theodore F. Arnold
Walter O. Ashley
Captain Barton Atkins
Captain J. W. Averill
Captain John W. Averill
William W. Axe
Table of Illustrations

Captain Charles H. Anthony

Captain Charles H. Anthony, the subject of the following career of adventure, can be found any time, night or day, on the fireboat Clevelander, at the foot of Superior Street, Cleveland, Ohio.

He was born in 1843 at Cleveland, Ohio, and met his first experience on the lakes, in 1858, as porter, on the steamer Mendota, of the People's line, or the New York Central, with Captain Spencer, where he served one year, or until the engine fell down, when he went on the propeller Chicago, Captain Collins, of the same line, and in the same capacity. These two vessels belonged to the passenger line, plying between Buffalo and Chicago. In the following year, 1860, Captain Anthony was engaged in the fishing business on boats belonging to M. Johnson, out of Cleveland.

In 1861, the first year of the "late unpleasantness" with the South, Captain Anthony shipped on the Colonel Ellsworth, Captain W. B. Scott. The Ellsworth was built on the lake shore, east of Cleveland and named for Colonel Ellsworth, one of the first Unionists to lose his life in the Civil war. In 1862 the steamer Ontario was the scene of Captain Anthony's service at the wheel, plying in the interests of the American express line, between Lewiston and Ogdensburg, the boat being under command of Capt. M. Estes. During this time in his career Captain Anthony felt the rising of a roving disposition for ocean services, and went to New York, where he shipped as ordinary seaman on the full-rigged ship Sylvanus Blanchard, of Yarmouth, Maine, for a six-month's voyage, and after discharging her cargo, he shipped on the Frank Flint, of the Thomaston, Maine, line, which loaded at Cardiff, Wales, for Rio Janiero. Later on we find Mr. Anthony on board the ship Jennie Eastman for a passage around the Horn, where he met Neptune in all his glory, bound for Callao, Peru. At the latter port he found the ship Young Mechaic bound for Queenstown for orders to Bristol, England. Here he found his foreign service becoming distasteful, and desiring to take part in the struggle that was going on in the United States, he shipped on the Ashburton at Newport, Wales, for New York City; and in August, 1863, he shipped on the United States frigate Sabine. Captain Lowrie, at Portland, Maine, bound for Boston, where he was transferred to the monitor Monadnock.

On arriving at Boston Mr. Anthony was promoted to quartermaster, and transferred to the United States frigate Colorado, at the navy yard, Kittry, Maine, in charge of Lieutenant Schley, of the South Atlantic Squadron. After serving on this station some months, the Colorado was ordered into the waters, designated in naval parlance the North Atlantic, and Captain Anthony participated in the naval battles at Newbern, N.C., Half Moon and Fort Fisher; and his experience in the blockading fleet on the Atlantic coast, off Cape Fear river, and at other points, if placed in detail would make a historical romance in itself, and too lengthy for this work.

At the close of the Civil war, Captain Anthony accepted an appointment on the receiving ship North Carolina, at the Brooklyn navy yard. Shortly after the United States frigate Colorado was refitted as a flagship, and detailed to service in the European squadron, under command of Rear Admiral John M. Goldsboro. On this expedition Captain Anthony went as signal quartermaster. He was on the European station, and in the Mediterranean twenty- seven months, when Goldsboro was relieved by Admiral Farragut. Captain Anthony returned to the United States, and came back to Cleveland in 1867, after an absence of five years. His first service on the lakes was on the schooner King Sisters, Captain Pellet, in 1867, then the old schooner City, Captain Turton; and afterward as second mate on the schooner Ironsides, Captain Richardson. He then went as master on the sloop Gazelle, in the fish and limestone trade.

On August 10, 1871, Captain Anthony accepted an appointment in the Cleveland fire department, where he was remained ever since. He has been helpful in the rescue of many lives, and in this onerous service had had many narrow escapes, one especially at the burning of the Globe Iron Works shipyard, where he had his leg crushed, and, in a previous rescue of life, his foot broken.

Captain Anthony was appointed master of the fireboat Clevelander, vice Captain Hawley, resigned, November 19, 1891, on which vessel he still holds the fort.


Previous    Next

Return to Home Port

Volume I

This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.

Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.