Chapter 204
Two Western Piers.

Table of Contents

Title Page
203 The Island Lighthouse.
204 Two Western Piers.
227 The Island in the Forties.
236 Front Street of Old.
237 Canadian Lake Navigation
238 1766 to 1809.
239 Six Eventful Years, 1809-15
240 A New Era, 1816 to 1819
241 A Progressive Enterprise, 1819 to 1837.
242 The Rebellion of 1837-38
243 Complaining Travellers
244 The Trade of the Lake Still Continues to Expand
245 The Royal Mail Line, 1840 TO 57
246 Storms and Shipwrecks -- Great Destruction of Life and Property -- The Commercial Distress in 1857.
247 Gloomy Anticipations for the Spring Trade
248 The Niagara Steamers, 1874-78.
249 Niagara Falls Line - 1883 to 1893.
250 Hamilton Steamboat Co. '87-'93
251 The General History of the Lake Shipping Continued
252 New Steamers
253 Lorne And Victoria Parks.
254 Toronto Ferry Co. 1890-93.
255 Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
256 Canadian Pacific Steamers.
257 The Rochester Route -1889-'93
258 The Ottawa Steamers, 1864-93
259 The R. & O. Company.
260 Tabulated Statements of Various Vessels from 1678 to the Present Time.
Table of Illustrations

Views of the Northern Railway Pier and Queen's Wharf from the East and West.

Northern Railroad Pier
Queen's Wharf looking west
In 1852 the Board of Harbour Commissioners decided that a winter harbour along the western bay shore was a convenient and desirable thing for the accommodation of the shipping of this port. The Queen's wharf at the foot of Bathurst street and what in now the easternmost of the piers of the Northern railroad were then in existence. Accordingly, Mr. J. G. Howard, the veteran engineer of High Park, in March, 1853, submitted a plan for an outside winter harbour to the west of the Queen's wharf and tor an inside winter harbour in the water lot lying east of the Queen's wharf and up to the Northern pier ; these water lots stretching out as far as what is known as the windmill line. As soon as this plan of the Harbour Commissioners became known. Mr. Cumberland, then the President of the Northern road, had cribs sunk and booms put down for rafting timber, thus shutting off the possibility of using any considerable space of the water lot between the Queen's wharf and the Northern pier for a winter harbour. An arrangement was effected by which the Harbour Commission secured a small portion of the water lot to the eastward of the eastern line of the Queen's wharf but it was so small that it has never been available for the purpose intended. The city then cribbed and filled in at a cost of $10,000, the water lot west of the Queen's wharf which had been intended for the outer harbour, but the Canadian Pacific Railroad one night set a large gang of men at work putting tracks down on it and thus stole the property and the improvements at the same time. The first Northern pier was that running at an angle eastward from the foot of Brock street. On this pier stands the grain elevator shown in view No. 2. Since that time several piers have been constructed between this and the Queen's wharf. View No. 1 is taken from the original Northern pier looking west with the Queen's wharf in the distance showing the booms and the logs. View No. 2 shows the Northern pier and elevator looking from the west with a small portion of the booms and logs.


Previous    Next

Return to Home Port

This electronic edition is based on the original in the collection of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.