Chapter 255
Royal Canadian Yacht Club.

Table of Contents

Title Page
203 The Island Lighthouse.
204 Two Western Piers.
227 The Island in the Forties.
236 Front Street of Old.
237 Canadian Lake Navigation
238 1766 to 1809.
239 Six Eventful Years, 1809-15
240 A New Era, 1816 to 1819
241 A Progressive Enterprise, 1819 to 1837.
242 The Rebellion of 1837-38
243 Complaining Travellers
244 The Trade of the Lake Still Continues to Expand
245 The Royal Mail Line, 1840 TO 57
246 Storms and Shipwrecks -- Great Destruction of Life and Property -- The Commercial Distress in 1857.
247 Gloomy Anticipations for the Spring Trade
248 The Niagara Steamers, 1874-78.
249 Niagara Falls Line - 1883 to 1893.
250 Hamilton Steamboat Co. '87-'93
251 The General History of the Lake Shipping Continued
252 New Steamers
253 Lorne And Victoria Parks.
254 Toronto Ferry Co. 1890-93.
255 Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
256 Canadian Pacific Steamers.
257 The Rochester Route -1889-'93
258 The Ottawa Steamers, 1864-93
259 The R. & O. Company.
260 Tabulated Statements of Various Vessels from 1678 to the Present Time.
Table of Illustrations

Its Rise and Progress and History From 1850 to 1893.

The society from which the present Royal Canadian Yacht Club has sprung was at first a boat club founded in 1850. Little, if anything, was done during that season or in the next, but in 1852 this society published its rules and regulations, and changed the name from Boat Club to that of the Toronto Yacht Club.

Prominent among these were Messrs. William Armstrong, C. E., John Arnold, Charles Heath, Thomas Shortiss, S. B. Harman (late City Treasurer); since deceased, Dr. Hodder, Major Magrath, and Capt. Fellows.

First Club House
The first meetings of the original promoters of the club were held in the office of Captain Fellows, commission merchant, on Melinda street. There, seated on flour barrels, the duo scheme was projected and was further matured at later conclaves held in a room over John Steel's saloon, which stood nearly opposite the present Academy of Music on King street. The first building used by the club was owned by Messrs. Gzowski and Macpherson and stood where the Union Station now stands. The first club house proper was erected on a scow and was moored just west of what was known as Rees' wharf. This house was occupied by the clue until 1858 when it was found so seriously damaged by muskrats and heavy weather that it had to be abandoned. The club then purchased the wrecking steamer Provincial, which was titled up as a club house and moored between Tinning's and Rees' wharves, opposite the Union Station. This was found to be a very unsatisfactory resting-place, however, as the vessel frequently contrived to get adrift. "Often," said Mr. William Armstrong, who has kindly furnished sketches of these two floating habitations, "was I called up in the middle of the night with the information that she had broken loose, and then I had to go down and put in the rest of the night getting her fast again. This ship was occupied until 1869, when the club acquired a water lot west of Rees' wharf where they erected a commodious club house and substantial wharf. During the autumn of 1873 the club en aged for use during the winter months the premises now known as Club Chambers. In 1874 the property on King street adjoining the old Montreal House was purchased as a town club house. Here they remained till 1877 when a social union was effected with the Toronto Club, the R.C.Y.C. still retaining their water club house and their individuality as yachtsmen. In 1880, finding that they were being crowded cut of an anchorage for their yachts, the club sold their water premises to the Grand Trunk and having obtained a suitable site on the Island erected their present club house. A city landing and boat house were secured at the foot of Lorne street and the steam yacht Esperanza was purchased to convey the members of the club to and fro. In 1889 the Royal Canadian Yacht Club and the Toronto Yacht Club (the latter of which had been in existence since 1880), effected an amalgamation. The Lorne street landing was disposed of and the new organization retained the club house of the Toronto club as their town headquarters and landing place.

In 1854 the members of this club petitioned Her Majesty the Queen that they might be allowed to assume the title of Royal Toronto Yacht Club.

At the time this petition was presented it was not only thought to be presumptuous, but was greatly ridiculed by many, and prophesies were freely indulged in that Her Majesty would withhold her consent. It was not so, though, for early in August the following letter was received by the secretary of the club: --

GOVERNMENT HOUSE, Quebec, August 4, 1854.

SIR,--I am commanded by the Governor-General to inform you that His Excellency has received a despatch from Her Majesty's Secretary of State for the Colonies stating that he has laid before the Queen the petition of the members of the Canadian Yacht Club, praying that Her Majesty would be pleased to permit them to assume the style of "Royal,"and that

Her Majesty was graciously pleased to comply with their prayer.

I have the honor to be, Sir,
Your most obedient servant,
(Signed) Aug. T. HAMILTON,
Military Secretary.

John Ettrick, Esq., Secretary C.Y.C.,

Toronto, C.W.

The next two or three years passed quietly by in the Club's history, nothing occurring to disturb the members in " the even tenor of their way."

During the season of 1858 what is described as "a grand yacht race" took place in Toronto harbor on Saturday, July 10th. The competing vessels were the Canada, Prima Donna, Rivet, Sea Gull and Wave. The last-named started with the others, but returned almost at once, strong weather having set in. Only one yacht went over the course, the heavy weather having prevented buoys being laid off Mimico Point. Owing to this cause the result was disputed. The prize was a cup valued at 20 currency, or $80.

A second regatta took place at Toronto on Friday and Saturday, October 1st and 2nd. Two prizes were offered, the first of $240, to be competed for by first-class yachts; the other of $60 for vessels of inferior capacity. There were five entries for the first prize, namely, the Wanderer, the Coral, an American yacht, owned by Mr. J. Oades, of French Creek, New York; the Belle, of Kingston, the property of O. S. Gildersleeve; the Sea Gull, of Hamilton; and the Canada, like the Wanderer, a Toronto vessel. For the second race there were five entries also, namely, the Fairy, Fleda, Cygnet, Wave and Prima Donna.

The first race was won by the Coral, she heating all competitors by three minutes and seventeen seconds. The second was carried off by the Prima Donna, her time being one hour, fifty-four minutes and twenty seconds, that being eight minutes and

twenty-four seconds less than the Wave, which came in second.

There were other races on the Saturday for yachts and open boats. That for the former class of vessels was again won by the Coral, more than twenty minutes ahead of all competitors. The prize was $150. In the open boat race for $50 the Flirt won, one minute and nine seconds ahead of her competitors, the Peerless, Saginaw and Lucknow

In 1859, on July 30th, two cups given by the commodore of the club were contended for on a course round a buoy at the far end of Toronto harbor, then outside the Island, doubling the harbor buoys' wharf, rounding a buoy outside Clindinning's in the lake, and home to the moorings, sailing i: side the buoys at the Queen's wharf. The competing yachts were the Prima Donna, S. Munro; the Wanderer, C. K. Romain; the Canada, S. Sherwood; and Water Lily, Captain Durie. These were for the first cup. For the second the yachts entered were the Storm Queen, Chas. Grasett; Wave, T. J. Robertson; Saginaw, Messrs. Cambie; and the Crinoline, J. Boulton. The Wanderer and Wave were the winning yachts respectively. It is satisfactory to learn that "at the close the members of the club dined together." It is to be hoped that the evening's amusement bore the morning's reflection.

The club made no very great progress nor did anything very remarkable for the next few years They held regattas with more or less regularity and kept themselves together, but did not achieve any great popularity or create any intense sensation.

In 1860 though the club showed that it was not remarkably active, it was anything but moribund. That was the year in which H. R. H , the Prince of Wales, paid his memorable visit to Canada. Of those who welcomed him on that occasion, there are not many remaining. It is more than a generation since, and while many have sought "fresh fields and pastures new," yet more have joined the ranks of the great and mute majority. A Toronto writer speaking of this period, very aptly remarks that

"When one comes to think of it, this was a somewhat momentous period in the world's history. The Franco-Austrian war had just terminated with the battles of Magenta and Solferino, and Garibaldi, heading the Sicilian revolt, had commenced that victorious march which brought about the birth of a new nation--Italia Una. The Chinese war was at its height, and the combined fleets of France and England lay in the Pehtang, while the troops roused the mandarins of Pekin, and came back with an indemnity of 8,000,000 taels. In the United States that fire was being kindled which, with the election of Lincoln in November, burst into a blaze, which nearly consumed the heart of a great people. These were truly stirring times.

The Prince arrived in Toronto by the steamer City of Kingston, of the Canadian Navigation Company's line, now known as the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company, on September 7th, and was most heartily and enthusiastically welcomed by the entire populace.

A regatta was arranged to take place on September 11th, and it was intended that the Prince should attend it, coming there from the railway station on his return from Collingwood, where he had been for a short visit.

He duly arrived and was received in a vast amphitheatre which had in its centre the royal pavilion with an elevated platform at the back for the more prominent of the Prince's entertainers.

The commodore of the club, Lieutenant Colonel Durie, the sometime commanding officer of the Queen's Own Rifles, as soon as the Prince was seated presented him with an address on behalf of the club, to which H. R. H. briefly replied.

On occasions such as these all royal addresses are of the same character and the replies made by their recipients are of the same stereotyped nature, so it is unnecessary to re-produce either the one or the other.

The following is an excerpt from "a chapter from the log-book of the yacht Oriole":--

"There was, unfortunately, some delay, and in the meantime the rain came down, so that the Prince was compelled to seek shelter, which, however, he soon abandoned, saying, 'I must see the start.'

"While at the end of the wharf an incident occurred which was often afterwards recalled with a laugh. A kindly individual bustled up to His Royal Highness, saying, 'Take my umbrella, sir, at the same time presenting a shabby but prodigious gingham. The Prince laughingly declined the offer, and took shelter on the railway platform.

"The fleet, with wet sails flapping in the strong wind, presented a very stirring picture. A heavy sea from the south-west came tumbling through between the then distant island and the mainland, and the larger boats strained and tugged at their moorings like dogs at the leash, while the foam flecked waves broke over their bows, drenching their crews, who in their oilies looked the reverse of amateurs.

"What a flood of memories the old names recall! The old Rivet still serviceable, was then in her youth and was sailed by E. and S. Blake. The Canada, 25 tons, the largest thouh not the fastest of the fleet, was then the property of Alderman Sherwood. The Sea Gull, sailed by J. H. Maingay, of Hamilton, and the Arrow, by Mr. Wallace, of Cobourg, were about the size of the Rivet -- 17 tons -- while Commodore Durie's Water Lily and J. T. Robertson'sDart were two or three tons smaller.

"Of the second class -- 10 tons and under -- there were: Prima Donna, J. Hamilton, Toronto; Expert,Mr. Delany, Cobourg; Glance, G. Oliver, Cobourg, and Phantom, J. H. Perry, Whitby. These yachts were all of about 10 tons burthen, while the smaller of three or four tons, sailing in the same class were Surge,J. Metcalf, Hamilton; Mariner,Mr. Stinson, Hamilton, and Fairy, T. Bigby, of Toronto.

"The race was to Mimico, and necessitated a long beat against a heavy sea. Only a few managed to get over the course, and all suffered more or less. Canada ran aground; Water Lily and Dart lost bob and forestays, and Prima Donna carried away her peak halyard, so of the first class only two went over the course, Rivet being about 15 minutes ahead of Arrow. Glance won in the second class."

The Prince, owing to his many engagements, was able to do no more than witness the start.

Steamer Provincial
At a meeting held on March 4th, 1861, in the club house, which was in the hull of the steamer Provincial, moored to the Esplanade, opposite where the Union Station now stands, Mr. Secretary Armstrong read a letter from Mr. William Cooper, yachting editor of Bell's Life, better known under the nom de plume of "Vanderdecken," who had previously been in correspondence with the club, as to the propriety of asking the Prince of Wales to give a cup in commemoration of his visit to Toronto. The matter was taken up and a committee appointed to petition his Royal Highness, and this was in due form sent through the authorized channel.About six months afterwards a reply was received from Gen. Bruce--who was related to the Earl of Elgin, and much interested in Canada--to the effect that the Prince had pleasure in complying with the request, and a cup would, in due time, be forwarded. This was, of course, source of much jubilation, and though the valuable present was not received until 1863, provision was at once made for its free entry through the customs, and rules were made as to its custody. In recognition of the valuable services of "Vanderdecken" he was elected an honorary member of the club.

The Daily News, of London, England, published August 17th, 1861, thus speaks of the Prince of Wales' Cup, presented to the club:--"The challenge cup presented by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to this club is about one of the handsomest things of the kind that has yet been made. It consists of a vase in frosted silver, partly burnished, and will be competed for in September next. Two principal medallions in low relief illustrate an incident in the life of Columbus, in which the great discoverer quells his mutinous sailors, and the cession of a tract of land (afterwards called Pennsylvania) to William Penn. Two graceful female figures form the handles; the cover of the cup is surmounted by a figure of Britannia. The base is of ebony bearing two shields engraved with the badge of the Prince and the inscription. The manufacturers are Messrs Hunt and Roskell, of 156 New Bond street, silversmiths to the Queen and royal family."

The first race in 1861 was spoken of by the Toronto papers of the time as not being a very spirited affair, in consequence of the very light wind that prevailed during the day.

Seven yachts started from where they were moored opposite the Club House. Eight had been entered, but one, the Phantom, of Whitby, failed to put in an appearance. These were the names of the competing yachts: The Wide Awake, Dart, Rivet, Irene, Arrow, Cygnet and Water Lily.

The race was won by the Wide Awake, a small boat of four tons burthen, built the Genesee river and owned by Mr. J. Elliott of Cobourg The following concise description of the day's proceedings from the Toronto Weekly Leader of September 13th. 1861, leaves one under the impression that on this occasion at any rate "the place to spend a happy day" was not in Toronto witnessing the R. C. Y. C. regatta. "There was nothing worthy of notice in the sailing of the yachts; the wind gave no opportunity for displaying those nice points of seamanship connected with a well-contested race, and the whole affair passed off very tamely."

In 1862 the race took place on September 8th from Toronto for the Prince of Wales' cup. It had been arranged previously that the course should extend from Toronto to Port Dalhousie and back, a total distance of about seventy miles, thus affording a good opportunity of developing the sailing powers of the crafts entered. These were seven, namely, the Gorilla, the property of Mr. Standley, of Cobourg; Rivet, Captain Elmsley, Toronto; Breeze, Dr. Hodder, Toronto; Glance, Mr. G. Hawke, Toronto; Wide Awake, Mr. Elliott, Cobourg, and the Arrow, Mr. Wallace, Cobourg. The cup was won by the Gorilla, her time being 6 hours, 46 minutes 25 seconds. The Rivet followed her in thirty minutes, and the Breeze, though third, was more than two hours behind. This was the second year a Cobourg yacht had carried off this cup, the Wide Awake, of the same place, having secured the trophy in 1861.

In the years 63 and '64 Mr. R. Standley's yacht, the Gorilla, proved the winner; in 1865 there was no race, and in 1866 and '67 Mr. E. Beakes' Ripper was the conquering vessel.

In 1868 the Geraldine, E. M. Hodder, was successful, and in 1869 the Mosquito, owned by Mr. E. M. Copeland, came in winner.

Since 1854 the club had steadily increased in the number of its members and its vessels, and in 1869 and 1870 built a large and commodious club house, nearly opposite the Parliament buildings, on Front St., Toronto.

The officers for 1870-71 were as follows --

Commodore--Dr. E. M. Hodder; Vice-Commodore--Mr. B. R. Clarkson; Captain --Mr J. H. G. Haggarty; Secretary--Mr. A. R. Bowell; Treasurer--Mr. Wm. Hope; Committee of Management--Messrs. G. M. Hawke,B. Harman and D. M. Defoe; of Sailing--Messrs. Wm. Armstrong, H. L. Hime and S. F. Holcomb; of Finance- Messrs. John Macnab and James E. Robertson. Auditor--Mr. C. Heath. The officers for the year were ex-officio members for all committees. The life members were Messrs. Robert Denison, F. S. Holcomb, Thomas Shortis, G. M. Hawke,F. H. Eccles, H. L. Hime, E. G. Leigh, B. R Clarkson and H. G. A. Allen, and the honorary members Messrs. Dr. Rae, Capt. Stupart, R.N.; Wm. Cooper, of London; J. Ettrick and Wm. Armstrong. The patrons of the club were H R H. the Prince of Wales, his Excellency the Governor-General, his Honor the Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario and Viscount Bury.

The following is a list of the yachts, with their owners and tonnage:--
Geraldine schr E. M. Hodder 28
Glance cutter B. R. Clarkson 11
Kestrel schr J.H.G. Hagarty 15
Rivet cutter R. Elmsley 16
Mystic schr H. Wall, N.Y. 46 1/2
Wide-a-wake sloop B. R. Clarkson 7 1/2
Mona cutter A. R. Allan 15
Ida cutter Geo. Eadie l5
Fawn cutter S. Hodder, Eng. 28
Stella cutter H. Moffat 6
Merlin schr J. S. Dugmore
Gorilla sloop Capt. Gifford 28
Petrel sloop J. E. Turnbull
Donna del Lago sloop F. W. Barron 6
Zephyr dandy Sir H. Parker 6
Mosquito sloop E. M. Copeland 12
Vanguard sloop Capt Dugmore 22
Rapid sloop R. Courneen 6
Annis sloop Col. Shaw 4
Nooya ---- ---- Molson

For the race of 1870 the following yachts started, namely, Gorilla, Ida, Geraldine, Kestrel, Glance and Stella. The Gorilla came in first, followed closely by the Ida, but, according to the rules of the R.C. Y.C , the Ida being a smaller vessel than the Gorilla, should be allowed 9 1/2 minutes' time, so that she really won the race.

In 1871 the race was abortive, though several yachts started.

In 1872 Captain Gifford's yacht the Gorilla, of Cobourg, was again afloat, having been completely rebuilt and presented a remarkably neat appearance. The schooner yacht Geraldine was disposed of in 1872 to Mr. C. H. Sampson, who entirely refitted her.

A correspondent of the Globe writing from St. Catharines under date June 28, 1872, makes some very severe strictures on the R. C. Y. C. After giving many cases of neglect on the part of the club's officers he goes on to say, " I was informed that the Commodore wanted to sell his yacht, and the only officer owning a yacht besides him was Captain Gifford of Cobourg." After a few more caustic criticisms on the club and all connected therewith he brings his letter to an end thus, "The present officers had better resign and give way for better men. * * * The Royal Canadian Yacht Club is a disgrace and a shame to the name of yacht club. This is hard language I know but I only speak the truth and it is high time it was spoken."

This hard hitting epistle was published in the Toronto Globe July 1, 1872.

The Oriole
Since 1873 the race has been won by Mr. W. G. Campbell'sOriole twice, by Mr. J. Leys' yacht of the same name three limes. Between the victories though of the former and the latter Oriole, in 1876 Mr. G. H. Wyatt with his yacht Brunette carried off the prize.

In 1880 Mr. A. R. Boswell was successful with the Madcap; it must be confessed it is hard to connect Mr. Boswell with any "madcap" enterprise, though in this case it was so, and "facts are stubborn things."

In 1881 there was no race, and in 1882 Mr. McGaw with his lovely little craft the Cygnet came in winner.

R.C.Y.C. Launch
Then for the next ten years came the remarkable series of Gooderham victories, Mr. W. G. Gooderham with the Aileen winning the race for three successive years.

Then from 1886 until 1890, both years inclusive Mr. G. Gooderham with the Oriole-- the yacht in which all Torontonians take an interest--was the victor.

In 1891 the Vreda, Mr. A. R. Boswell's new yacht, won the cup only to have it wrested from her in the year 1892 by the Oriole, this being the sixth victory for the latter.

In 1893 Mr. Norman Dick's yacht the Zelma, won the race after a very spirited contest.

The Zelma
The Zelma was designed by Fife and built by Stanton of Picton, the same builder who turned out the well known yachts Irene and Kelpie. Her length overall slightly exceeds fifty-five feet, with a width of ten feet seven inches, and a draught of eight feet eight inches. When she was launched it was said of her that "every detail of her construction gave evidence of careful supervision and honest workmanship, and it is doubtful if she could have been better put together even on the Clyde."

During the season of 1893 the Zelma started in every race for which she was eligible and finished with an unbroken record of first places, notwithstanding that in many cases she had to compete with boats of double her own tonnage.

In addition to association and club prizes she won in 1893 the Queen's cup at Hamilton, the Lansdowne at Toronto, and the Prince of Wales' cup also.

A list of the winners of the cup is given since its institution.

List of Races for the Prince of Wales' Cup
D'te. Winner. Owner. Course.
1861. Wide Awake C. Elliott Mimico, et., and return
1862. Gorilla R. Standley Pt. Dalhousie and return
1863. Gorilla R. Standley Pt. Dalhousie and return
1864. Gorilla R. Standley Pt. Dalhousie and return
1865. No race
1866. Ripple E. Blake Pt. Credit and return
1867. Ripple E. Blake Pt. Dalhousie and return
1868. Geraldine E. M. Hodder Pt. Dalhousie and return
1869. Mosquito E. M. Copeland Mimico, Scarboro', etc.
1870* Niagara
1871. Abortive race Niagara and return
1872. Gorilla C. Clifford Niagara
1873. Lady Standley B. R. Clarkson Niagara
1874. Oriole W. G. Campbell, et al. Niagara
1875. Oriole W. G. Campbell, et al. Niagara
1876. Brunette G. H. Wyatt Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria park
1877. Oriole J. Leys, et al. Lighth'se, lake buoy, Victoria park
1878. Oriole J. Leys, et al. Lighth'se, lake buoy, Victoria park
1879. Oriole J. Leys, et al. Lighth'se, lake buoy, Victoria park
1880. Madcap A. R. Boswell Pt. Credit, Victoria park
1881. no entries
1882. Cygnet T. McGaw Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria Park
1883. Aileen W. G. Gooderham, et al. Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria Park
1884. Aileen W. G. Gooderham, et al. Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria Park
1886. Aileen W. G. Gooderham, et al. Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria Park
1886. Oriole G. Gooderham Mimico, lake buoy, Victoria Park
1887 Oriole G. Gooderham Exibition, lake buoy, Vic. Park
1888 Oriole G. Gooderham Exibition, lake buoy, Vic. Park
1889 Oriole G. Gooderham Exibition, lake buoy, Vic. Park
1890 Oriole G. Gooderham Exibition, lake buoy, Vic. Park
1891 Vreda A. R. Boswell, et al. Exibition, lake buoy, Vic. Park
1892 Oriole G. Gooderham do.
1893 Zelma N. B. Dick Do.

The Rosamond
Of other matters in connection with the club may be mentioned the sailing match of 1875, which on a 32 mile course six yachts competed. The course was through the eastern gap to Mimico and back. During the race Colonel Shaw and Captain Lee, who were on board the Ina, were swept overboard, the yacht Dauntless went out of her course to assist them, succeeding happily in her efforts. The race was won by the Cuthbert, but the result was protested on the ground that the Dauntless had the privilege of deviating from her course where life was concerned.

The prizes in this match consisted of the "Champion" flag and $200 for the first place and $75 for the second arrival.

In 1893 the following vessels comprised

First Class
Aggie Cutter 40,61
Aileen Cutter 56,90
Condor Cutter 42.07
Cricket Cutter 31.36
Dinah Cutler 37.66
Iolanthe Sloop 37,23
Lady Evelyn Schooner 94,05
Laura Sloop 36,92
Lenora Yawl
Norma Cutter 39.17
Oriole Schooner {74.75
63.52 }
Papoose Cutter 42.37
Verve Cutter 44.29
Vision Sloop 35.21
Vreda Cutter 47.69
Whistlewing Cutter 40.76
Zelma Cutter 39.92 30
Foot Class.
Cyprus Cutter 32.8
Erma Cutter 29.75
Vedette Lugger 29.91
Wona Cutter 27,52
25 Foot Class.
Ariel Cutter 24.46
Brenda Sloop 22.96
Edna Sloop 21.13
Hilda Sloop 22.69
Kelpie Cutter 24.98
OEnone Sloop 24.06
Volante Sloop 23.52
Wawa Lugger 21.61
21 Foot Class
Caprice Sloop 20.45
Erchless Cutter 20.26
Freida sloop 19.40
Gwendoline Lugger 17.29
Irene Sloop 19.68
Kathleen Sloop 19.19
Pixie Yawl
Recruit Lugger 18.59
Woos Sloop 20.72
Artful Gilliatt Yawl
Thistledown Lugger

Skiff Class -- AEgeria,Miss Marion,Ole Girl, Ripple, Uneasy,Viola.

Steam Yachts -- Esperanza, Cleopatra, Abeona,Ishkoodah. Alexandra, Florissant, Sonntag, Rosamond, Naiad, Zephyr, Viola.

The Humber
The R. C. Y. C. became incorporated on March 4th, 1868, by an Act passed by the Ontario Legislature, and on the following July 10th received an Admiralty warrant to this effect:--


By the Commissioners for Executing the Office of Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, etc.

Whereas we deem it expedient that vessels belonging to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club shall be permitted to wear the Blue Ensign of Her Majesty's fleet with a Crown in the fly.

We do by virtue of the power and authority vested in us hereby warrant and authorize the Blue Ensign of Her Majesty's fleet, with a Crown in the fly, to be worn on board the respective vessels belonging to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club accordingly.

Given under our hands and the seal of the office of Admiralty, this tenth day of July. 1878.

(Signed) A. W. A. HOOD,
By command of their Lordships,
(Signed) THOS. WOLLEY.

The club took possession of their new premises on the Island, opposite Toronto, immediately after the annual meeting on May 14th, 1881 Great satisfaction was expressed by the members at the accommodation provided and at the thorough manner in which the work had been carried out.


Previous    Next

Return to Home Port

This electronic edition is based on the original in the collection of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.