On the lake route from Toronto to Lorne Park, began to ply in 1888 the steamer Greyhound. She is a double decked screw steamer of 219 tons burthen, and was built at Hamilton in 1887 by Melancthon Simpson. Her length is 133 feet, her width 21 feet and her depth of hold 10 feet 6 inches, Her engine was supplied by Messrs. Beckett & Co., of Hamilton.
Her command for some little time was entrusted to the late Captain Donaldson, He was succeeded by her present popular master, Captain William Boyce. She is registered to carry 478 passengers She is the property of Mr. Gooderham, of Wellington street, Toronto, and for the season of 1893 was chartered by the Lorne Park Navigation Company.
On the Victoria Park route the steamer Chicoutimi, built in 1882, began to ply in 1887. Her first commanding officer was Captain Parkinson, now of the Carmona. Since he left she has for the past three years been under charge of Captain Thomas Jennings. Before coming to Toronto the Chicoutimi plied on Lake Huron.
The second steamer running from Toronto to Victoria Park is the J. W. Steinhoff. She was built in 1876 at Chatham, and ran on the upper lakes until she was to a great extent destroyed by fire in 1881. She was then rebuilt and again resumed her journeys on the same waters until 1889, when she was brought to Toronto. For the season of 1890 she ran from that city to Victoria Park In 1891, to use a technical expression, she "ran wild," that is, took trips here, there and everywhere, having no settled route, and in 1892 and also in 1893 has again been running from Toronto to Victoria Park.
She is the property of Alderman Thomas Davies, of Toronto, and is ably commanded by Captain Murchison. When she first came to Toronto she was under Captain Zeeland, now of the Hamilton line. As an excursion steamer she has always been in great request.
Return to Home Port
This electronic edition is based on the original in the collection of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.