The Board of Works have just completed an excellent lighthouse on Egg Island, or the Scotch Bonnet, which is one mile S. S. W. of Nicholas Island. It was lighted for the first time in September, 1856. A bright fixed light, bearing S. E. of Presqu' Isle Light. Can be seen 13 miles.
This nearly land locked haven of refuge, when once entered, is perfectly secure from every wind or sea; there is plenty of water with good holding ground; its dimensions are ample for the whole navy of the Lake; it is well lighted; it is easily entered with any wind, except from the N. W.; and when it blows from this quarter, shelter is easily obtained in many other places; yet, from the want of a few beacons or buoys, vessels often keep the open Lake, or run for much less secure places, rather than face the dangers of the shoals.
COURSES AND DISTANCES.
Return to Home Portelectronic edition is based on the original in the collection of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston.