John McMurray was born in Grand Isle, Erie Co., N. Y., in 1858. After attending the common schools the allotted number of years he commenced marine engineering on the tug Eagle, of the Buffalo harbor, remaining on her until the fall of 1879. In the spring of 1880 he took the tug International, and held this berth on her for ten years. The International is a powerful tug, owned by the railroad company, and is stationed above the international bridge spanning the Niagara river, at Black Rock, to assist vessels up and down the river at that point. In 1891 Mr. McMurray remained ashore and ran a stationary engine for the Kahle Manufacturing Company in Buffalo, remaining with that firm two months. In the spring of 1895 he entered the employ of the International Ferry Company as engineer of the steamer Niagara. He has nineteen issues of marine engineer's license, and one of pilot's license.
In 1887 Mr. McMurray wedded Miss Anna Morrow, of Buffalo, and they have one daughter, Grace M. The family residence is at No. 1146 Niagara street, Buffalo.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.