Frank Kenyon, who is at present chief engineer for John J. Bagley & Co.'s tobacco works in Detroit, Mich., was for many years engineer on the Great Lakes. Mr. Kenyon is a member of the Marine Engineers Lodge in Detroit, and still preserves his acquaintanceship with the vesselmen of that city. He was born near Auburn, N. Y., in the year 1843, and was brought up in Niagara county, N. Y., where his parents moved soon after his birth.
Mr. Kenyon served an apprenticeship as machinist, and later worked at his trade in Saginaw, Mich. He first went on the lakes as second engineer of the old Eighth Ohio. Afterward he spent five years tugging, during which time he was second engineer of the tugs Livingston, Torrent, Champion, Winslow, and one or two others. After leaving the tug boats he sailed part of the season as second engineer of the B. W. Jenness, owned by Christie & Co., of Detroit. Since that time he has been off the lakes, and has held his present position as engineer with John J. Bagley & Co. for some twenty-two years.
Mr. Kenyon has lived in Detroit for twenty-five years. He is married, and has one son, William S. Kenyon, who is at present employed in a machine shop in Chicago.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.