Readers will recall that the photo of CAPE TRINITY, which appeared on our March photopage to illustrate the appearance of the steamer during her last period of operation, showed her outbound at Toronto's Eastern Gap, passing the inbound Port Dalhousie dayboat DALHOUSIE CITY. We would have commented upon this most interesting photo had we had sufficient space in the text, but we were very short of space in that issue. We were, however, happy to note that several readers picked up on the significance of the photo. For those who might not have noticed the interesting coincidence contained in it, an additional comment or two would now seem to be appropriate.
CAPE TRINITY, (a) GERONIA (14), (b) SYRACUSE (20), came from the yard of the Collingwood Shipbuilding Company Ltd. as its Hull 29. She was launched June 7, 1911, ran her trials on July 18, and began her delivery voyage to Toronto on July 23. DALHOUSIE CITY was also built at Collingwood in 1911, and was the very next ship out of the yard after GERONIA, for she was the builder's Hull 30. DALHOUSIE CITY was christened at Collingwood on June 24, 1911, and sailed for Toronto on August 14, less than a month after GERONIA cleared. It would be very interesting to be able to locate a photo of the two Lake Ontario passenger steamers together at Collingwood, although we sincerely doubt that we should ever be lucky enough to do so.
DALHOUSIE CITY enjoyed a much more successful career than did CAPE TRINITY, and served the Port Dalhousie route until the close of the 1949 season. She then ran excursion service out of Montreal, as (b) ISLAND KING II, until she was gutted by fire on the night of November 13-14, 1960. She was to have been made into a barge, but instead was scrapped at Montreal in 1961. For full details of DALHOUSIE CITY, please refer to our Ship of the Month No. 75, which appeared in Vol. X, No. 8, our tenth anniversary issue of May, 1978.
Meanwhile, we stand corrected concerning the final departure of CAPE TRINITY from Toronto. We stated that R.C.CO. TUG NO. 2 and J. R. BINNING towed CAPE TRINITY from the Ship Channel on Tuesday, September 28, 1937, and that they took her across the bay and out the Western Gap on the way to Port Weller. While all of our other details were correct, we are assured that the tugs took CAPE TRINITY out into the lake via the Toronto Eastern Gap. The corrected information comes from Capt. John Leonard, who witnessed the sad event, and who found himself presented with a unique and unexpected opportunity to honour the bedraggled old CAPE TRINITY as she left Toronto for the last time on her way to the scrapyard.
Reproduced for the Web with the permission of the Toronto Marine Historical Society.