The Chicago harbor, since 1833, when the first appropriation was expended in opening a straight outlet from the river into the lake, has gradually been extended to its present splendid proportions. Since 1871, the work of forming an outer harbor has been carried steadily forward. Besides the north and south piers and the new light-house, the improvements include over five miles of substantial breakwater and two pier lights. The work now in progress, when completed, will afford an outer harbor for all vessels seeking the port, and the breakwater a safe protection to all craft driven to the southern end of the lake under stress of weather. The annual appropriations, and expenditures on this work, since 1871, have been --
For 1883, the liabilities exceeded the balance of former appropriations, and no appropriation having been made this year, Congress, on July 5, 1884, made the appropriation of $100,000 to cover the deficiency. The amount expended during the fiscal year ending July 1, 1883, exclusive of the outstanding liabilities of July 1, 1882, was $130,843. On July 1, 1883, the outstanding liabilities were $65,357, and the amount available at this date was $45,651.40. An item of $250,000 for the Chicago harbor was inserted in the river and harbor appropriation for 1885, but it was lost with the other items in that bill.
Major G. L. Gillespie, temporarily on duty under orders of Lieutenant-General Sheridan. April 1, 1873, to May 3, 1877 ; in charge of improvement of Chicago harbor from July 14, 1874, to May 3, 1877 ; engineer officer, Military Division of the Missouri, from July 16, 1878, to September 28, 1878 ; station, Chicago.
Major G. J. Lydecker, assistant to Colonel Houston, May 1, 1874, to May 3, 1877; station, Chicago, to April 29, 1875; engineer officer, Military Division of the Missouri, May 3, 1877, to July 16, 1878; in charge of construction of harbor of Chicago, May 3, 1877, to June 19, 1882 ; station, Chicago.
Major T. H. Handbury, engineer officer, Division of the Missouri, December 15, 1883, to date ; temporarily in charge of improvement of Chicago harbor during Major Benyaurd's leave, on account of sickness, December 4, 1884, to date ; station, Chicago.
The light-house keepers since 1871 have been Charles H. Bann, appointed April 9, 1874, resigned in 1875 ; Antony Aagen, present keeper, appointed June 23, 1875. The first assistant keepers for the same period have been James Peterson, Hans S. Hanson, H. S. Hagenson, Charles Klingston, Samuel Hendrickson and S. P. Nelson.
Return to Home Port
A selection of marine information and illustrations from this magnificent three volume history of Chicago.