On that trip we were unloading coal at the Kemp Coal Co.'s dock, Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. At about ten o'clock on the morning of November 9th I went up to the Canal Office to ascertain if possible the weather conditions for the next twenty-four hours; and also to interview any Captains who had arrived up from Lake Huron, as we were to be unloaded during the afternoon and would then depart for Alpena, Mich.
When I got up to the locks I looked for the storm signals and found that no signals were flying. I waited for an upbound boat and asked the Captain how the wind and weather were on Lake Huron. He termed the weather as "rotten" and said the wind was about north.
I left the Canal Office, and on my way back to the boat I called up the Weather Bureau office to learn what information they could give regarding the weather for that day and night. I told them where I was bound for, and then I was informed the wind would be about north but that they did not think it would touch northeast, and the prospects were for diminishing winds that night.
I then decided to spend the night at anchor somewhere in the vicinity of Detour. We let go anchor at 7:30 P.M.. under Fort St. Joe Point in six fathoms of water. That night between eleven and twelve o'clock I never saw it blow so hard, and I was very glad I stopped.
Return to the Maritime History of the Great Lakes Home Port
This set of letters is from copies in the collection of the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society, Bay City, Michigan and was made available by Dave Swayze.