George Randerson & Son
George Randerson & Son, No. 238, Detroit street, Cleveland, Ohio. This business was established in 1851 by Joseph Randerson, brother of the present owner and at his death in 1870 passed into the hands of George Randerson, who was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1831.
George Randerson received a common school education and worked at farming until he came to the United States in 1849, settling in Cleveland in 1851. He then engaged in the meat-market business until his brother Joseph died, when he continued the business as above stated. The firm does a large marine trade in meats and ice, which they deliver aboard vessels by means of a steam launch. During the war days of 1861-62 the old firm supplied Camp Cleveland with meats. In 1893 they erected a fine new block on Detroit street, which is a great contrast to the old building in which they did busines for thirty-five years, and their marine trade has assisted very materially in this improvement.
George Randerson, Jr., was born in 1860, in Cleveland, Ohio, and attended the public schools of that city until his twentieth year, when he went to work in the meat market with his father. In 1879 he was admitted as partner in the firm, which then became George Randerson & Son. In 1889 he was married to Miss Mary Bailey, and they have one daughter, Edith M.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.