William A. Lloyd
William A. Lloyd, well known throughout the lake region as a skillful machinist and marine engineer, is superintendent of the machinery department of the Ashtabula Harbor Ship Chandlery Company. He removed to Ashtabula in the spring of 1897 from Cleveland.
Mr. Lloyd was born on April 2, 1853, in Morpeth, Kent county, Ontario, and is the son of William and Margaret (Currie) Lloyd. His father was born in Brecknockshire, South Wales, and came to America about the year 1840, locating on Lake Ontario. He followed the trade of millwright, erecting mills on the Isle of Tonty and at St. Thomas. It was Mr. Lloyd, Sr., who transported by team the first load of rails used in the construction of the Great Western railroad, from Port Stanley to London, Ontario. At the close of this contract he opened a machine shop and foundry at Morpeth, later removing to Chatham, where he entered the employ of Hislop & Ronald as millwright and foreman of the pattern shop. He died in 1887. The mother or our subject was born near Picton, Ontario, of an estimable family, and preceded her husband to the realm of death, passing away in 1860.
William A. Lloyd attended the Canadian schools at Morpeth and at Chatham, and acquired the education peculiar to the youth of the period, after which he worked as carriage painter one year at Chatham. In 1866 he entered the employ of Hislop & Roland to learn the machinist's trade, remaining with that firm three years, his duties at times taking him on shipboard, the steamer Tecumseh being the first boat on which he sailed. For two years after he finished his time as apprentice he worked at the trade in St. Catharines, Dundas and other Canadian towns. In the spring of 1870 he obtained the position of chief engineer on the steamer Manitoba, where he remained until fall, and the next season he was appointed chief engineer of the side-wheel passenger steamer Alice P. Stewart, fitted with a beam-condensing engine. He closed the season as chief engineer of the side-wheel passenger steamer Alexander, she having a high-pressure engine. In the winter of 1872 Mr. Lloyd stopped ashore and worked at his trade at Detroit, Windsor, Port Huron and Sarnia until 1877, when he took the berth of engineer on his father's tug, Hero, plying on the Sydenham river. That winter the Hero was sold, rebuilt and her name changed to Henry Smith. Through some default in the payment of the purchase money she reverted to the original owner, and finally passed into the hands of our subject. In 1878 he leased her to other parties, and the next year assumed command and sailed her as master until August, when he sold her to a Mr. Miller, of Detroit, and that fall went to Cleveland and worked in the Cayahoga Furnace. During the two years that he remained there he took out American engineer's license, which was granted by Thomas Fitzpatrick, local inspector. In the spring of 1882 he shipped as second engineer on the steamer Robert Wallace, serving two years with Edward Prince and F. Kirby, respectively. In the spring of 1884 Mr. Lloyd brought out new the iron steamer William Chisholm, the second iron steamer built in Cleveland. That fall he laid her up in Chicago, and upon return to Cleveland entered the employ of the Globe Iron Works as foreman of the erecting shop, where he remained until the winter of 1889. During this period he built the engine of the steamer Cambria, the first triple expansion on the lakes, and all other engines under construction by that firm up to the time mentioned above.
In 1890 he started business on his own account, designating his works the Continental Machine Company, and continued to do general marine repair work, also manufacturing deck hoists, shears, marine engines, etc., until the fall of 1893. On account of the financial stringency that year, he discontinued business and entered the employ of the Union Casualty Insurance Company, as inspector of boilers and machinery, afterward entering the employ of the Cleveland Ship Building Company. In the spring of 1895 he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Specular, on which boat he remained until September, when he again returned to the Cleveland Shipbuilding Company, and was employed in putting in engines and machinery in the steamers Maricopa and George N. Orr, then under construction at Chicago. He then returned to Cleveland and engaged in setting up machinery and blowing engines for the company until March, 1897, when he removed to Ashtabula to take charge of the machinery department of the Harbor Ship Chandelry Company.
In 1891, Mr. Lloyd was united by marriage to Miss Marietta, daughter of Robert and Martha Thompson, of Cleveland. Three children have been born to this union: Pearl A., Mark A. and Harold F. The family residence is at No. 27 Hubbard street, Ashtabula, Ohio.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.