The Globe, Jan. 1, 1898
Capt. Andrew J. Tymon was born in 1844 at Smith's Falls, Ontario. From there his parents moved to Collingwood and at that place he received his education in the Public Schools. When he was thirteen years old, in 1857, he started sailing, his first place being as cook aboard the schooner Owen Sound, of Owen Sound, sailing out of Collingwood. He was in her the last three months of that season, and the next season he shipped as boy in the Hope of Collingwood, a little brig. He remained aboard her for eight months. Then he was for three years with the steamer Rescue, sailing between Collingwood and Fort William. Out of her he went into the propeller Kenosha. plying between Collingwood and Chicago, and was aboard her. under Capt. Lacey, of Cleveland, for two months. Subsequently he sailed as master of a little trading schooner between Southampton and the Isle of Coves and Collingwood, in the fishing business. He laid her up in the fall of 1860 at Collingwood. In 1861 he shipped before the mast in the schooner Ariel, trading between Lake Huron and Lake Ontario ports. For about six months he stayed in the Ariel, afterwards taking command of the steamer Dewdrop a market boat plying from Christian Islands to Collingwood. In 1862 he sailed the schooner Angus Morrison for five months, trading between Georgian Bay ports and Goderich; then he went to Chicago, and sailed out of there on sailing vessels and propellers until the end of the season of 1863.
Coming back to Collingwood,Capt. Tymon embarked in the fishing business with the well-known Mr. Porte of that city, who was later drowned off the steamer Jane Miller in Owen Sound Bay, when all hands were lost one night. Having made a little money at the fishing trade, Capt. Andy Tymon came to Toronto, and sailed out of here on sailing vessels up to and including 1869. He left for Lake Superior the following year and once more took up the fishing business. When he was bound for Michipicoten Island on the steamer Algoma, with a fishing rig-out for W. P. Clark, that vessel caught fire, and it was only through the good management of Capt. J. B. Symmes and his men and Capt. Tymon that the fire was successfully combated and a disaster averted. The damage done to the boat amounted to over one thousand dollars.
Capt. Tymon fished off Michipicoten Island all the summer of 1870; then he came to Toronto, got married, and settled down. Shortly after that he opened his hotel at the corner of Church and Esplanade streets, in Toronto and ran it until the summer of 1880, when he divided his attention between his hotel and steamboating. He took charge of the steamer Arlington that summer for Mr. John Mead, and ran her between the city and the Island Park. During the following season, 1881, he commanded the steamer Prince of Wales for Messrs. Crangle & Geddes, on the Centre Island run. Subsequently in 1882, he purchased the steamer Jessie L. McEdwards and sailed her in the ferry business for three years on Toronto Bay. Adding to his fleet, Captain Tymon built the steamer Theresa and sailed her. She was burnt in the great fire on the Esplanade in Toronto in the year 1885; and unfortunately was uninsured. This somewhat crippled the Captain, so the succeeding season, he sailed as master in the steamer Gertrude for Mr. John Fleming.
Shortly afterwards, Capt. Tymon built the steamer Island Queen, and a ferry company was formed, of which he was the principal, with its fleet including the steamers Truant,Island Queen,Gertrude. and Kathleen. The steamer Truant was built along with the Island Queen, and was her sister ship, both vessels being of similar size and model. This line Capt. Tymon managed until 1892, when all the boats were disposed of the the Toronto Ferry Company. To Capt. Tymon is due great credit for building up Island Park as a summer resort with the excellent ferry service that he supplied. Also he is a gentleman whom the citizens of Toronto have to thank for christening that part of the opposite side of the harbor Island Park. When Capt. Tymon had disposed of his interests in the ferry service, he entered into partnership with his step-son, Mr. J. D. Murphy, and built the steamer A. J. Tymon. She was launched in 1892, and Capt. Andy Tymon, as he is familiarly called by his many friends, has been managing that fine passenger vessel ever since. She is commanded by Capt. James McSherry.
Everybody knows what an undevailing Liberal in politics Capt. A. J. Tymon is. There are few men living who have worked harder for the party than he has done in the eastern portion of Toronto. At present he belongs to the executive of the East Toronto Reform Association, formerly the St. Lawrence Ward Reform Association. He was the organizer of the Toronto Branch of the International Seamens' Union, and for the years 1879 and 1880 he was the first President. Capt. Tymon has a family of two sons and one daughter - Capt. Joseph Tymon,Mr. M. P. Tymon, the hotelkeeper, and Miss Theresa Tymon.Miss Theresa Tymon is one well known as a soloist in Toronto.
Return to Home Port
The entire file of the Globe and Mail and its predecessors is now online via subscription at Micromedia ProQuest