E. E. Morris
E.E. Morris, a well known engineer residing in Chicago, was born in Rhode Island, April 2, 1858, and is the son of Noel and Adaline (Normandy) Morris, the former a native of France, the latter of Canada. The father, who was an ax manufacturer of East Douglas, R. I., died in Woonsocket, that State, in 1863, and the mother, who long survived him, passed away at the same place in 1891. Edward spent his boyhood and youth in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and was married in Chicago, in 1889, to Miss Mary Burns, a native of the old Bay State.
In early life Mr. Morris learned engineering, and for over fourteen years was identified with the lakes, becoming a prominent and well-known marine engineer. He first sailed in 1877, out of Buffalo, N. Y., on the vessel Fairbanks, as a coal passer, was next with the Union & Western lines, and was later fireman with the Western and Anchor lines. He came to Chicago in 1880, and two years later took out his first papers as engineer, holding that position for a short time on the barge Albert Soper, belonging to the Soper Lumber Company. He was then in the employ of the Harvey Lumber Company as engineer on the St. Joseph, and remained with them two years, after which he was connected with the Rietz Lumber Company as engineer on the vessel Charles Rietz. After leaving their employ, he was for two years and a half engineer at the Seaverns elevator, and then engaged in steam fitting for some time, after which he put in one season with the Old Inter State Express Company as superintendent of their boilers, and for one year was chief engineer for Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co., at the end of which time returned to the lakes, and became engineer on the City of Rome, filling this position until 1890. On the 17th of March of that year, he entered the employ of the Howe Scale Company as chief engineer, and still holds that responsible position to the entire satisfaction of all concerned.
He is a leading and active member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, No. 4, of Chicago, which has a membership of 130 in good standing; was secretary of the association in 1889-90-91, and again in 1895-96-97, and in January, 1898, was elected vice-president, which office he is now filling. He has been a member of the organization since 1884. His home is at No. 537 Park avenue, Chicago.
Return to Home Port
This version of Volume II is based, with permission, on the work of the great volunteers at the Marine Captains Biographies site. To them goes the credit for reorganizing the content into some coherent order. The biographies in the original volume are in essentially random order.
Some of the transcription work was also done by Brendon Baillod, who maintains an excellent guide to Great Lakes Shipwreck Research.